Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Waltons 6.16: “The Festival”


Airdate: 1/26/78

Erin tells Jason that the Spring Festival committee is interested in having him play for the event, but when he hears Verdie Foster’s youngest son, Josh, play the trumpet, he arranges to audition as a duet. Regrettably, he is rejected because Josh is black, but the Waltons decide to hold their own festival with everyone included. Josh, after suffering a crisis of inferiority, attends and performs magnificently.

Heartwarming episode is the second examnation of racism this season, and makes fine use of supporting character Verdie Wilson and her family. James Bond III as Josh delivers a fine juvenile performance – of particular note is his “heart to heart” with Jason about whether to listen to his dad about “keeping his place” or rising up and proving his worth.

Subplot: A love triangle involving Elizabeth, Aimee Godsey, and the new boy at school. Ho-hum.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What song did Josh play at the end of episode

Chris Collins said...

Good question, Unknown. I'll look into it.

Unknown said...

I have been asking and researching that for years. I think it's called Deep River. And it does have lyrics.
I believe the song was written by Samuel Coleridge Taylor - Twenty Four Negro Melodies
Deep River Op 59 No.10
Please tell me, ANYONE, if I am correct! I believe I've heard the song Somewhere before... maybe in my childhood.... It's a beautiful tune and I've only heard it, consciously from The Waltons. I've been searching for the name of the tune that he's playing by trumpet and it's been driving me crazy for a long time!!! So please, somebody tell me if I'm right or wrong or at least put me on the right track! After all this time, I thought I was the only one asking that question! Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

It would be great to get a reply and the one I'm looking for! Today is my birthday after years of trying to find the answer, it would be a great birthday present!!!! LOL

hightechdad2013@gmail.com said...

It isn't deep river. I definitely know that song and josh wasn't playing it!

Anonymous said...

Please remember what aired on the Waltons was only a short version of a melody and “dubbed” over with a flugelhorn. The general melody does match “Deep River” close enough it could possibly be the selection. Jon Walmsley is a musician and could very easily edit the piece to accompany on piano while Chuck Mangionie adlibed the melody of Deep River. Just my opinion as melody and chord structure from the snippet on Waltons are very close.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...